The importance of lease negotiations cannot be understated. The terms you agree to will shape the finances, operation, and growth of your business. Here are a few suggestions for how be the best possible negotiator, as suggested in the article “Develop Negotiating Skills”:
- Don’t be afraid to discuss – remember that negotiations are a normal and healthy business practice, so do not feel like you are overstepping bounds by wanting to discuss further the lease your landlord first gives you.
- Avoid Greed – It is not about how much you can get, but how you can help your business be healthy and thrive.
- Collaboration – view negotiations as a chance to work together with the other side to achieve a win-win deal.
- Practice – as with all things, your negotiating skills will improve with practice.
- Go for it! – You will miss all of the opportunities you do not pursue, so aim for the best deal possible and see what you come out with.
A combination of boldness and flexibility is the best possible recipe for getting a great lease for your business!