6 Questions To Consider Before Leasing Commercial Real Estate In Overland Park
Managing lease negotiations for commercial real estate in Overland Park can be a hassle if you aren’t schooled in the technical language that is used between brokers and property management. To better prepare yourself for this process and make sure you understand what you’re getting yourself into, here are a few questions to consider before signing your lease, as outlined in “10 Things to Consider Before Leasing”:
- Is the space in the right area of town? Did you want to be next door to amenities that you need or closer to other like-minded businesses? Particularly if you are a new business, it is also important to consider your image, which your neighborhood can have a big effect on.
- How will the parking be handled? Parking is definitely something that can be forgotten about when dealing with larger more important situations during lease negotiations. However, parking isn’t something that should be pushed to the side. Customer, employee and handicapped parking are all different aspects of parking that you should discuss with the landlord.
- Do I know who is responsible for what costs? Leasing companies and brokers often use terms that are a bit unfamiliar to a business new to the world of commercial real estate. So when looking at a potential rental space, it is a good idea to go over the various expenses associated with a space and the property to figure out what exactly you are paying when you sign that contract.
- Does this space have the amenities I’m looking for? When you are looking for an office rental space, it is a good idea to ask questions about the features and image of the building. Does it have everything you want in your commercial space? For example, are you concerned about an eco-friendly environment or the importance of clients feeling comfortable when they arrive? There are things that you might be interested in knowing about before signing your lease, and can also be confirmed by a thorough tour of the space.
- How much space do I need? A good idea for any new business owner is to realize how much space you need right away to run a successful and thriving business. The best way to go about doing this is to stick to your budget and what feels right for your business. Remember to also factor in the potential growth of your business.
- Can I improve or build out the space? If a space isn’t exactly what you want it to be yet, that does not mean that it is off the table entirely. Talk to the landlord about whether or not you can build out the space or customize it in other ways. Make sure you clarify who will be responsible for those expenses, what permissions you need, and whether you have to return the space to its original state at the end of your lease.
There are a lot of factors and decisions that go into finding the perfect commercial office space for rent in Overland Park, KS, for your business. Be sure to know what you are looking for and be prepared to negotiate for it!