Don’t forget to go over all of the information in your lease before you sign it to make sure that everything you might want included or have questions about is clearly covered. Here are some more suggestions for things to be sure to look out for:
- The monthly rent rate—how much you will have to pay, what it does and doesn’t cover, and how it is calculated.
- Any additional fees that might be required of you (i.e. parking lot maintenance, percentage of profits—anything you might have to pay in addition to monthly rent).
- When your rent is due and how it needs to be paid (mailing address, in person, etc.).
- How much late fees might be and when they are incurred. What to do in the event that the payment due date falls on a Sunday.
- What insurance you are required to have at the signing of the lease and during the lease term.
- Will anyone have the right to access your space without your permission, and if so, under what circumstances might this occur and who would it be?
- Unless your lease specifically tells you that you can share the space with another business or sublease, you cannot. If you would like to sublease you must make sure that it is stated in your lease that you have this privilege.
Be sure to look for these things and a few other important provisions in your lease before you sign the dotted line!
If you are on the hunt for commercial space for lease in Kansas City, be sure to give a DDI commercial real estate broker in Kansas City a call at 913-685-4100 to find out about Southcreek’s available spaces!