When you are planning to relocate to a new space, it is important to break the process down into logical steps. Here are some suggestions for steps to consider, as listed in the article Planning for a New Office Space in the New Year:
This seems like an obvious thing to review and consider when planning a move, but there are often things that businesses forget to consider when moving. For instance, if you are leasing a space it is important to research current market lease rates and expected trends in drops or increases. Do not let yourself be surprised by unexpected expenses. Here is a list of top budget considerations to go over
- Security deposit and first month’s rent
- Gathering your balance sheets, profit/loss statements, etc. for a landlord to look at
- Phone and data cable cost estimates
- Internet costs
- Insurance – both property and general liability.
- Cost for movers, equipment, and furniture
- Any updates to websites, social media, or business cards
- Cost of build out or any finishes to a space.
Think about asking a commercial office tenant representative to help you with market research, area information, trends, and any other questions that might require expert insight. Doing this will help you save time and money in the long run. Sometimes business are hesitant to seek help finding a space because of fees, but often they do not realize that a commission will be paid whether they seek help or not because leasing commissions are often negotiated in advance between listing agents and building owners.
Make sure you do some preparing before even beginning your actual search for office space!
If you need help finding a business space for rent in Overland Park, give a DDI Commercial real estate broker in Overland Park a call at 913-685-4100!