If you are looking to increase your office productivity, a few simple suggestions for staying organized might be all you need. Here are a few tips for keeping your desk neat and orderly:
- Get rid of writing instruments you don’t need. You might only have a few pens you use, but somehow your desk gets cluttered with other random writing utensils. If you aren’t going to use them, throw them out!
- Have a place for the contents of your pockets. Designate a space for your phone, keys, wallet, etc. Ideally, find a space where you can run power cords to charge various items, such as a drawer or right under your monitor.
- Proximity based on frequency of use. A simple concept: if you use it more, keep it closer to you. Often people forget to arrange things this way because they are focused on the look of the desk rather than convenience.
- Move electronics out of sight. Cable modem, wireless router, firewall, etc. should all be kept out of sight to cut down on visual clutter and make your desk a nicer place to work.
- Easy access to files. Easy filing is one of the most important organization tips. You should be able to grab a folder, label it, and file it without having to get up from your desk or move your chair.
- Scanning documents. Scanning documents into PDFs and keeping them on your computer is a good way to cut down on filing and keep papers off your desk. This can be especially helpful if you travel a lot and need to transport papers electronically.