If you are desk-bound all day and looking for a way to take a quick stretch break, Cyndi Lee, founder of the OM yoga center in New York, has some Office Yoga Tips you can use to relax for a few minutes:
- Sit on the edge of your chair with your feet on the floor hip distance apart, palms on thighs. Stretch out spine, balancing head over heart, heart over hips, and inhale and exhale for five counts each.
- Inhale and lift arms overhead, grabbing left wrist with right hand. Exhale and bend to the right, staying there for three breaths to stretch your side. Inhale as you come back to vertical and then perform stretch on the other side.
- Roll shoulders a few times, then on the fourth role, interlace fingers behind back and straighten arms (just hold onto the back of your chair if you don’t have enough room). Inhale and lift chest to make a high backbend. Stay here for three full breaths.
- Exhale and place hands on knees, rounding spine. Tuck pelvis and pull naval away from knees to come into a seated cat pose. Let your head dangle and breathe deeply.
- Perform an inversion by folding forward, letting upper body fall through thighs. Try to get your head lower than your hips, reaching toward the floor (or ankles or shins) with palms flat.
- Slowly roll up, then exhale as you twist to the right. Place left hand on outside of right thigh and right hand on back of chair, making sure to lift your right armpit-chest area. Look over right shoulder to include your head in the twist, and move your eyes to the upper right corner of your eyes then the lower right corner. Repeat eye exercise twice. Then close your eyes, twist back to center, and repeat on other side.
An easy five minutes to de-stress!